Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You Can Have Me

Today I officially start my second semester of college.  What better way to start off the year then with my first class being Wellness?! I am sensing that you are not noticing my sarcasm...

So anyway...the other night I spent my final night at home helping at my church's high school youth group.  It was great to go back.  My small group girls who I had in junior high are now freshmen.  Oh, they are growing up!  It was so amazing to be back and setting an example to those girls.

I also kind of think that God had me there for other reasons as well.  I kind of think...ok, I know that I really needed to hear the message given that night.  The topic was making idols of things.  Now to me, and idol is putting something else above my relationship with God.  That includes the majority of my thoughts, my actions, and my emotions.  Yep...totally spotted some things I have been making idols of...

It is not like I am one of those people who have addictions such as drugs and alcohol as the idols in my life.  Those types of things have been obvious for me to avoid.  Ok, so I sound like little miss perfect admitting that those have never been thoughts or struggles in my life.  Well actually, the idols that have been infecting my life could be looked to someone else as obvious things to stay away from or not let affect me.

You see, I have been letting two people that have recently hurt me take over my life...emotionally.  The thing is, is that they are two people that should not even matter to me.  For some reason I am dwelling over the fact that they are hurting me even though I would prefer to just move on and not have them as people in my life right now.  I have every right to be hurt I guess.  The problem was that it got to the point where I was building up a constant depression over the fact that they hurt me.

My whole winter break seemed to be almost completely absorbed over the anger/depression of this situation.  It was taking over my time from building my relationship with Christ.  Personally, I find it was spiritual warfare going on in my life.  I was letting the devil control my thoughts, and it landed me to be constantly wallowing in self-pity.  Pathetic, I know.

Today I want you to think of something that has become an idol in your life.  It may not be the same type of thing as me, but it could be something that is holding you back from truly experiencing God.

I am now back at school where I can now be set apart from the drama at home, but it is still my option to let myself be controlled with those thoughts again.

God offers me a chance to give up what has been holding me back.  This semester I am going to strive to give myself to God.

Father of Love, You can have me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment