Monday, June 18, 2012

Pure Michigan

What a weekend.  I cannot believe that I am back in Illinois after such a fun trip.

Michigan started off...interesting.

Friday I went to my Biology lab, got my hair cut, cashed in my paycheck, and headed to the airport.  This was my first flight going all by myself.  I was really not that worried.  I am good at figuring things out...

Well...I was on the flight on my way there.  It was great.  I wanted to spend the time on the flight studying for my Biology test, but got intimidated when the person I sat right next to was a Neurologist and was reading in this large book about brain tumors.  I felt I looked a little lame studying for my General Biology test...so I spent the hour flight looking out the window and just being in awe of God's creation.  It truly is so beautiful.

We were about to land when all of a sudden an announcement came on the plane.  Apparently in Detroit there had been a plane that took out a large portion of cement on the runway that we were supposed to land on and we did not have enough fuel to fly around until we could land on another runway.  With that being said...they were taking us to Flint, MI.  Yes, the number one dangerous city in America.  Yay!  Ok, Detroit is not that much more safe anyways, but the airport I was supposed to fly into was five minutes from my boyfriend's house.

Landing in Flint was kind of traumatic.  I felt so bad having to call my boyfriend and tell him the news. At the time, all I could do was laugh...and kind of cry.  He was sweet and drove the hour or so to pick me up, and we both arrived late to his pool party he was hosting.

That night was great with just meeting his friends and family.  It really took my mind off of my plane incident.

The next day, Chris and I got up at six in the morning to go for a run.  He had this great idea to go running around Ford Lake (yeah...named after Henry Ford...yeah...the car dude.)  We ended up going to the wrong park and a park ranger thought we were crazy, but we finally found the correct park.

We went running...I was out of shape...but we went running.  I really was not feeling good that day, but I was fighting it.  After the run we went on a pretty walk along these islands on the lake that are connected by foot bridges.  So pretty!

The day was just getting better.  We went to a few grad parties, and also went to the mall to have Chris pick out a new dress shirt.  That was an adventure...enough said. Haha. We did end up getting one for him (and he received great compliments at church the next morning...)

But back to my day...

Later that evening, my amazing boyfriend had it planned out to drive his dad's jeep and take me to the fair.  I have honestly never been to a fair that huge.  It was soooo packed!  We spent $16 on tickets, but only went on the Ferris wheel...and the guy forgot to collect our tickets for that!  It was beautiful, but with it being so crowded, it became so overwhelming to where we had to give up our tickets to someone else.

Chris and I then were able to watch a fireworks show.  So beautiful.  Enough said!

On our way home...the jeep broke down...on the highway...I was seriously thinking, "What else could go wrong?!"  But then I received this inner-peace that everything was going to be all right.  You see, Chris and I have the craziest adventures...this weekend had just added to it.  I thought this week was going to be terrible just from when I found out I would not fly into the airport I was expecting....but God took care of it.  This problem with the Jeep was fixed when his dad came to the rescue...God took care of it again!  You see, God was taking care of us this weekend from the very beginning.  It allowed me to put more trust in Him, when things do not go as expected.

The next morning I went to church with his family.  We then ate at a restaurant on a lake.  The rain started to come in...I felt like I was in a scene in The Notebook.  Maybe that was just me being a hopeless-romantic...or just reminiscing of the days at school when Chris and I would run around campus in the rain and jump in puddles...

The afternoon was relaxing.  The last few hours with Chris and his family were spent watching television, and playing croquet.

I soon had to fly back...from the correct airport!  It was also a great time to finally study for that Biology test I was putting aside.

Looking back at this weekend, it just makes me realize how God truly made this such a great trip.  Things may not had gone as planned, but they ended up working out and we had a great time.  We had waited forever to see each other, and the waiting paid off!

God blessed us with a fantastic weekend that we had patiently waited for.  In about four and a half weeks Chris will fly here.  That actually sounds like nothing compared to our last break, but yet again, this break away from each other is allowing us to focus on ourselves and what God is doing in our lives.

I cannot wait to go back to Michigan, but I am even more excited for the trip God has planned out for us when Chris arrives here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment